Hauser & Wirth Institute has processed and digitized the papers of American abstract painter Mary Dill Henry (1913 – 2009). The collection, assembled by her family, includes sketchbooks, photographs, letters, artist statements, press clippings, and records of Henry’s professional graphic design work. Now complete, the Institute has assisted the estate in placing the archive at the Paul V. Galvin Library’s University Archives and Special Collections at Illinois Institute of Technology, Henry’s alma mater, where it will be housed for long-term preservation and public access.
Henry attended the California College of the Arts and studied with László Moholy-Nagy in Chicago before taking a break from her art practice while raising a family and working in design. In the 1960s she moved to Mendocino, California and recommitted herself to painting. Henry moved to Washington State in the late 1970s and settled on Whidbey Island, where she lived alone for the rest of her life. She had many solo shows in the Pacific Northwest throughout the 1990s and 2000s, where her works are in several public collections. Henry’s entire collection is represented by Berry Campbell Gallery in New York.